Messengers of hope...

Missionaries in Ecuador with International Teams and Youth World since 2002, parents of four children, and then some more children, directors of Casa Gabriel and now Casa Adalia, teacher and friend, but most importantly, redeemed by Jesus Christ and living out the ministry of reconciliation as messengers of hope. This is the story that God is writing through us.

Monday, January 21, 2013

The JOY of the LORD is my strength.

Last night I spent a couple of hours in the home of a friend for a "Ladies Refresher."  The purpose of the evening was to provide a casual setting for women of all ages and occupations to meet together for conversation and encouragement.  As I enjoyed the simple delight of spending time with other women, I realized that sometimes I forget how much I need women in my life who are just like me, with struggles and insecurities and victories and a need for "girl" conversation. 

We ended our time by identifying one word God desires us to hold onto and press into for 2013.  There were many -- hope, contentment, discipline, "be here now", faith, trust, glorify...Mine was JOY, and not only joy, but, "The joy of the LORD is my strength."  Over the past couple of years my joy that so often came pretty naturally to me was being robbed little by little...through health issues, ministry challenges, major life changes, absorbing the pain of others, and mostly just by being way too busy for way too long until it seemed I had poured out the last dredges of my nearly empty cup. 

But God, who is unfailing in His grace and love, provided a "pause" in my life.  Since our return from home assignment last September I have had some margin in my mornings to soak in His Word and Presence. 

I never want to take for granted His beautiful gift of joy that comes from being with Him.  I cannot love, I cannot live without His joy that gives me strength.

Jesus, King of My heart, You are my joy.  My cup spills over.  May joy splash on everyone around me today because tomorrow...Your presence will fill my cup again. 

Jesus said, “Everyone who drinks this water will get thirsty again and again. Anyone who drinks the water I give will never thirst—not ever. The water I give will be an artesian spring within, gushing fountains of endless life.”  John 4:13,14 (MSG)

Below, a picture of joy -- four Douce kids finding joy in being together during family time at the beach one year ago.

 

1 comment:

  1. So encouraged by this, Mom! Thank you God for being our source of joy that we can rest in at all moments!

    ReplyDelete