Messengers of hope...

Missionaries in Ecuador with International Teams and Youth World since 2002, parents of four children, and then some more children, directors of Casa Gabriel and now Casa Adalia, teacher and friend, but most importantly, redeemed by Jesus Christ and living out the ministry of reconciliation as messengers of hope. This is the story that God is writing through us.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

March 8th -- International Women's Day

Yesterday was International Women's Day, a very important day in much of the world, particularly where women have experienced oppression and degradation.  It was most definitely important to the girls in the safe house where we are volunteers, to girls who desperately desire to be recognized and valued for their uniqueness and purpose as women. 

The girls had dressed up for the event and had prepared a three hour plus program.  Their audience was a few staff, our little group of volunteers and each other.  Oh what a celebration!  There were dramas and dances and singing and power points giving historical accounts about oppressed and persecuted women and how the International Women's Day began.  These girls knew their history lessons far better than me!

One of our group had invited her mother to share her story of overcoming sexual abuse and finding freedom and purpose in Jesus.  I prayed that in the midst of the many performances, this story of hope would penetrate wounded hearts.  Could there be any greater reason to celebrate?

As I cheered performance after performance, my heart began to shatter.  Little girls danced like grown women. Tears poured down some faces as they sang tragic love songs.  Dramas and choreography reflected stories of manipulation and devastation.  Laughter and celebration mingled with devastating pain.  One little 13 year old sat next to me for a few minutes.  She held her hand over her heart and bent over with pain,  "Oh, I miss my mom so much today.  I want to tell her I am sorry for running away from home.  I didn't know what would happen to me..."  And then the reality of how far she has to go on her journey to freedom was expressed in the next breath, "And I miss my "boyfriend" so much!"

This morning I felt the residue of the celebration linger on my emotions.  While reflecting I heard this song.  I think it celebrates women as God intended, with an incredible capacity for deep and loving relationship.  A woman uniquely displays to the world who God is because she has been created in His image.  In the intimate arms of her Beloved, she is breathtaking, captivating, beautiful, and gloriously free.

INTIMACY
by Jonathan David Helser

These hands you made to hold yours, my love
These feet you shaped to walk with you in our garden
These eyes you placed to gaze upon your face
These lips you formed to kiss my beloved

I was made, I was made for intimacy

These ears you made to hear your rhythm of love
This voice you placed to sing songs of grace
This hair you wove, you numbered every strand
This gaze you love, it captures you with a glance

Intimacy is what I need, intimacy is calling me

No comments:

Post a Comment