Messengers of hope...

Missionaries in Ecuador with International Teams and Youth World since 2002, parents of four children, and then some more children, directors of Casa Gabriel and now Casa Adalia, teacher and friend, but most importantly, redeemed by Jesus Christ and living out the ministry of reconciliation as messengers of hope. This is the story that God is writing through us.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Just one day

Phil and I on a "not-so-typical" day spent with our son
Jordan and his wife Viole last labor day in Chicago
I have been asked by people interested in such details, "What does one typical day look like for you?" Like most of us, my days are filled with the ordinary and seemingly mundane stuff of life.  It is when I look through God's lenses, the ordinary suddenly becomes God's extraordinary.  I don't like to think of how many times I viewed situations with natural eyes and missed witnessing God's extraordinary.  

Here is one day, in fact, this was last Friday as rehearsed from my (Debbie's) perspective.    

7:30 AM Phil and I had breakfast with friends who arrived late the night before with a college team they are leading this week at an orphanage ministry site.

8:50 AM I walked to the school, Alliance Academy International to buy 12 glue sticks from the book store for the craft we were doing that morning with the girls.  Phil headed home to find a cooler for the team to take with them.

9:00 AM I met up with our team for the drive out to the safe house where we volunteer.  On the way we enjoyed laughter and conversation, reviewed what we were going to do that morning, and discussed (again) how we might share with integrity and sensitivity the Gospel to girls who are in such varied places in their spiritual journey.

9:50 AM Prayer together outside the safe house for girls who have been rescued from the sex trade.

10:00 - 12:15 PM Trust building games (my group really squealed with laughter and concern when I fell to the floor), Bible lesson on God's promises, craft, opening God's word together...and being a bit overwhelmed at the huge need in the girls in many areas including educationally. Many sweet moments, then hugs and "besitos" once, sometimes twice with 20 plus girls.

12:20 Back in the car we thanked God together for our time that morning and prayed for His work to continue in the girls.  At the main road I left our group to walk to a coffee shop to wait for a ride to my Friday afternoon Bible study in the same town where the safe house is.

12:30 I had a surprise encounter with Doris and Washo, friends and partners in building God's kingdom. I visited their business, a shop for making and selling curtains and other items such as bathroom accessories.  Doris was so excited because she had been wanting to give me one of the bathroom sets but didn't know which color to give me.  I was asked to choose between the turquoise blue or hot pink bathroom set, not exactly what my North American taste might choose, but a very beautiful accessory in this country. I chose blue and respectfully expressed my gratitude.

1:00 to 3:45 Beth Moore Bible study with a number of precious missionary women on the book of James (over a period of 8 weeks) - I recommend it!

4:00 The drive home -- thankfully, one of the ladies needed to go to the grocery store in Quito and took me part way. (I normally catch a ride with another friend who lives in Quito, but she was absent last week.)  We immediately jumped into deep conversation, excited to have some "girl chat" time.

4:30 Knowing Phil and I were supposed to meet a couple visiting from our home town at 5:00, I took a taxi instead of the trolley straight to Casa G... and got out a block early because the meter indicated that I didn't have enough change to make it all the way there.

5:30 Neither Phil nor the couple were at the house...it was a strong reminder that I really needed to get a new cell phone! I accidentally left mine in a taxi some weeks ago.  I walked home with trudging feet carrying the bulging craft bag, my Bible and study book and the bathroom set because I didn't know what else to do, and I was out of money for taxi.

6:00 Phil arrived home with a headache that had started in the morning but increased while stuck in traffic the past hour...his typical day is quite different from mine.  I wish I could say I didn't get frustrated that I didn't know where Phil was or about the change of plans.  We determined I would definitely get a cell phone asap...funny how today that is no longer a priority. After I "got over myself," I showed him our bathroom gift. Phil surprised me by immediately trying it out in the guest bathroom, and we smiled together over its "brilliance." Phil soon discovered however, that it wasn't very functional. The toilet seat refused to stay up when lifted...

6:30 - 8:00 Via email we rescheduled our meeting for 8:45 PM because we couldn't reach them by phone. We ate leftovers -- the advantage and disadvantage of now cooking for two means we don't cook as much as we used to; did some email/ Facebook, tried to call our kids, and basically "vegged."

8:00 After looking up the hotel on google to get an address, we left in a rush because we didn't give ourselves enough time. Upon arrival we drove around the block a few times to find secure parking. We noticed three young prostitutes working on the corner and felt that familiar tug of compassion and pain.

8:30 - 11:00 We enjoyed a delightful conversation in a nearby cafe with a young couple who had been visiting Ecuador the past week.  Mutual friends had connected us. We were blessed by their stories of how Jesus had captured their hearts and given them purpose.  Back at the hotel lobby Phil prayed over them before we said goodbye.  As we stood close together with heads bowed in thanks I marveled at God's goodness for introducing us to more of His amazing family.

11:30 To bed...the next morning would start early because the Casa G boys were playing in an all day soccer tournament and Phil was their coach.

So there is your answer to what one typical day might look like for me.  Or maybe it was not so typical after all.  In fact, if I look beyond the ordinary, I might find there are none. 

Because we know that this extraordinary day is just ahead, we pray for you all the time—pray that our God will make you fit for what he’s called you to be, pray that he’ll fill your good ideas and acts of faith with his own energy so that it all amounts to something.  If your life honors the name of Jesus, he will honor you. Grace is behind and through all of this, our God giving himself freely, the Master, Jesus Christ, giving himself freely. 2 Thessalonians 1:10-12 (MSG)








No comments:

Post a Comment