Messengers of hope...

Missionaries in Ecuador with International Teams and Youth World since 2002, parents of four children, and then some more children, directors of Casa Gabriel and now Casa Adalia, teacher and friend, but most importantly, redeemed by Jesus Christ and living out the ministry of reconciliation as messengers of hope. This is the story that God is writing through us.

Friday, June 7, 2013

Unexpected Blessings -- Displays of Grace


Chelsea and I on our last day together this time around.
It was a Monday night in downtown Columbia at a local coffee shop.  Chelsea had invited me to join her college girls’ Bible study group.  One of the girls in her group is a beautiful young woman with a difficult and sometimes debilitating condition that causes her muscles to contract unexpectedly.  Chelsea had invited each of us to tell something we were thankful for and it was my turn to share.  Across the table from me the young girl had broken into a sweat as she tried to control sudden, excruciatingly painful spasms.  Her shoulder was contracting, and her arm was starting to twist backwards.  Chelsea remained calm and assuring.  Neither pity or extra notice would be welcome.  However, my face didn’t hide my concern, maybe even horror, and she felt the need to apologize, “I’m sorry…for some reason my arm isn’t cooperating.” Desperately holding back tears of compassion, I looked into the brave girl’s eyes and said, “God is faithful.  Always.  I am so thankful for this.”

Many of the unexpected blessings over the past weeks were due to being invited into life with our kids in their day to day ministries through relationships as well as planned discipleship groups and outreach.   I watched them live out the challenging, fun, hard, growing stuff of life with wisdom, love and grace.   I learned so much from each of them.  And I asked God to give me more grace like they have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment